Cucumber and Hummus Cupcakes

I have a recipe for the most healthy cupcake you will ever eat!  I am working on some ideas for our Facebook friend Amber’s upcoming cupcake party, and today I’m showing you how to make a super healthy cupcake!

By the way, we also put together some cute, healthy ideas for her other child’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Party.  Check them out!

Veggie Cupcakes

Aren’t they cute?  Not as sweet as a regular cupcake, but you certainly can feel much better about munching on these during a cupcake party!

Our veggie cupcakes are made out of two ingredients: cucumber and hummus.

Prepare the “cupcake wrappers”

veg cupcake 2

Peel a cucumber, then take a fork and, while firmly pressing down, pull the fork from one end of the cucumber to the other.  This will create little grooves that will look like little cupcake wrappers!

veg cupcakes 3

Slice your scored cucumber into approximately 3/4 inch thick sections.  You want the cucumbers to be thick enough to hold your hummus, but thin enough to take a bite from.

Once you have cut your cucumber into sections, take a melon baller and scoop approximately 2/3 of the middle out of the cucumber.

Icing your cucpcakes

veg cupcakes 4

I used a star shaped tip with a large opening.  This will create a beautiful, fluffy frosting look on your finished product.

Veg cupcakes 5

Fill your piping bag with hummus.  I used classic hummus but there are lots of yummy flavors you could use such as pine nut, roasted garlic, basil pesto, or roasted red pepper.

Veg Cupcakes 7

Starting in the center, pipe a large dollop of hummus and then swirl your piping bag around until you are happy with the look of your little cupcakes.

For a finishing touch, I added a sliver of red pepper in the center.  See how pretty they turned out?

If you have a theme for your child’s upcoming birthday party and you want to pick our brains here at Creative Kid Snacks, simply post a message for us on our Facebook Wall telling us your theme and the date of the party, and we will come up with at least 3 healthy options to put out at your party to go along with your theme!  Make sure you’ve “liked” us too so that you can be sure to see your special post!

Comments

• Amy Hudson says

Yes, they were yummy. Next time I will use the roasted pine nut hummus because I love that one! Another suggestion a friend had was to add little pita chips into the center as a garnish :)

1. Sarah says

Great idea. Though I’d rather my own hummus than sabras — it’s too artificial tasting IMHO :/

2. MarieRoxanne says

That is such a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial!
    I love this especially for HouseWarming parties, office parties etc…

• MarieRoxanne says

Also you can use guacamole, and Baba Ganouch for a different taste!
      Lots of experimental variations!
      thanks again!

3. Jacquef says

Thank you so much for the adorable idea. It got my mind thinking about other options as well, guacamole and cream cheese, a dill ranch etc., yum!

4. says

These little “cupcakes” are so cute. You eat with your eyes first and these little guys certainly do the trick. I’m going to try these. I need to eat more veggies anyway. I found this recipe on Pinterest, where I am a new follower. Thanks for sharing!

5. says

After I originally commented I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from
    now on every time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment.

Perhaps there is a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks!

Also visit my web-site: read more here

• says

So glad to see this! My girls’ birthdays are so close to Christmas, that we’ve dniagested birthdays as book’ days The girls get to pick several books at B&N for their gift they’re excited ’cause they get to choose whatever they want, and Santa’s happy that nobody is interfering with his work- i.e. buying toys! The Free Birthday Cupcake will make it even more special for the girls! Thanks for Sharing!

6. steph udell says

what a great and tasty idea. i have tons of summer guests and this looks like a wonderful option!
    thanks for sharing…